To apply, please send resumes, cover letters and links to where we can find you online to jobs at ranker dot com. Currently considering candidates for:
- Manager, Content Marketing
- Senior Lead Engineer
- Search Engine Optimization Manager
- Content Coordinator
- Development / QA Intern
- Marketing / PR Intern
- Associate Editor
- Other Interns
A key member of our team is the Content Marketing Manager, who manages paid ad campaigns on Facebook and other marketing channels. We’re looking for an analytics-driven person with Facebook marketing chops who can use data to continue expanding and monetizing Ranker’s user base.
Manage Ranker’s marketing campaigns on Facebook.
Coordinate with content and organic social teams.
Help evaluate and manage other social marketing channels, like Reddit, Twitter and Instagram.
Report on performance.
Make analysis-driven recommendations of content and creative likely to do well on Facebook.
At least a year of Facebook marketing.
If you’re not a Facebook ninja yet, you might still fit if you have great experience doing:
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Content marketing for brand advertisers
Content marketing for publishers via Outbrain, Taboola, et al
Mega bonus points if you have also created/optimized headlines and images for your Facebook campaigns.
Black belt in Google Analytics (or Omniture) and Excel — but also the ability to come up with and work with other tools, including in-house ones.
Experience helping optimize large quantities of content for performance marketing.
Conversion marketing — being responsible for how your traffic converts to ad impressions, leads, installs or some other concrete metric.
Deep SEO experience is a nice plus
Some SEM experience is a nice plus
Blog outreach and other traffic acquisition experience is a nice plus
Excellent organizational skills.
Crystal-clear communication skills — spoken and especially written.
Freakishly high energy and strong work ethic.
Ability to work with a team.
Prior work at a start-up is a plus.
If you’re interested, please email all of the following with “Content Marketing Manager” in the subject line.
Resume + cover email
Link to LinkedIn profile
Salary history and requirements
The ideal candidate has experience writing and editing for the web, a deep understanding of Internet culture and the ability to edit copy to be clear and snappy. You consume TV, movies and music obsessively, and pride yourself on an having encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture. If you are a political junkie, history buff or a sports nut, tell us about it — we’ve got a real need for you too! You love making lists, and it’s easy for you to think of story ideas in round-up or list formats. You are a skilled researcher, who can learn about unfamiliar topics at the drop of a hat. You are also a fast, organized and detail-oriented editor, who can manage deadlines.
*Edit a high volume of daily content at a fast pace
*Ensure that copy is accurate, grammatically correct and entertaining
*Generate creative and compelling ideas for rankable lists, photo galleries and other viral content
*Optimize content for SEO
*1-5 years of web editorial experience
*Excellent writing and editing skills
*A proven track record in creating highly shareable, clicky content, with particular success on Facebook
*Good instincts for finding story ideas on Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, YouTube, Pinterest and Tumblr
*A keen sense for why certain content is trending on these social platforms
*Professional experience copy-editing, or editing according to a style manual, such as the AP Stylebook
*Facility with web analytics, Google docs and working in a CMS
*The ability to write really funny copy for a millennial audience is a big plus
Ranker.com is a Quantcast Top 200 site that has rankings across pop culture, sports and just about everything else. We have more than 20 million unique visitors per month and generate 250 million page views. Forbes recently called us out as one of 15 Explosively Growing Companies to Watch This Year. We are venture-backed, growing rapidly and building a team that will make us one of the most popular businesses in the digital world.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a resume, cover letter and salary range expectations to jobs at ranker.com with the subject line: Associate Editor, Pop Culture/Viral Content. YOU MUST SEND ALL THREE in order to be considered. Please also include at least 3 (the more the better) writing and/or editorial samples, as well as (if applicable) links to any social media properties you’ve helped program. As we are a site with lists about literally everything, and we like editors who know lots about lots of things, it is also super helpful if you want to list in your cover letter any areas of expertise you have, from the broad to the “pretty granular.” Everything can be ranked!
Job Description Mentor and manage junior offshore developers. Build and maintain Spring Batch Jobs to build/augment SOLR Indexes. Independently Design and Architect large solutions and present them to the CTO. Diagnose production environment issues using Logic Monitor Server Monitoring. Manage production cloud server developments. Provide MongoDB administration. Be first point of contact on production site issues 24/7. Create technical requirements from discussions with the product team. Architect/implement adapters to ingest non Freebase datasets into our system using our Ranker Data Ingestion Framework (Amazon, SEOMOS, Factual, custom data).
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science/Applications
- 5 years experience as Programmer/Web Developer
- Proficent in Java, PHP, perl, SQL, Tomcat, SOLR, MongoDB, Freebase
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO) MANAGER
Job Description Looking to grow your SEO skillset tenfold and work on a big site run by an SEO guru? Time to move on from your agency work doing SEO for local dentists or whatever the latest client they throw at you? Read on. Ranker.com, a Quantcast Top 500 site (Top 100 for Mobile Web) is the platform for crowdsourced rankings across all topics. We are seeking an SEO with 1 – 4 years experience to learn and grow with us and execute on many different areas. We are located in the Miracle Mile area of LA. The company is venture-backed and the founder has sold a successful internet startup in the past. This is a great opportunity for a smart, driven individual to join a fast growing internet startup Requirements
- At least one year’s experience doing fulltime SEO work
- MS Excel proficiency
- Strong command of English language and how people use it in search
- Fast computer skills overall; proficiency with tools and software
- Strong work ethic
- Understanding of search analytics at a gut level
- General knowledge about a lot of different things as we are a broad content site
Responsibilities Just about anything related to SEO may fall on your plate as we test different approaches and repeat what works. We have a laundry list of search-related tasks and analysis that needs to be done. Some of the things you will be doing include linkbuilding, content reachout, partnerships for links/traffic, managing of freelancers, social media approaches, competitive research, keyword research, online marketing, site audits, reporting, using tools/apis for heavy analytics work and vetting of tactics both offsite and on (in addition to tools and GA we have proprietary systems for analysis). Note that this is not a content writing position; other people do that here, for the most part, though you will certainly be editing bits of content at times. While there is plenty of room to weigh in on SEO strategy, please note that we are looking for someone to execute – we know much of what needs to be done. This is a very hands-on SEO position, which is why we are open to candidates with as little as one year of experience- if you know the basics, we can train you on the rest. If you have some solid experience, all the better – we can pay you more – but you will still need to be very hands on, you aren’t going to be hiring an SEO firm to do the execution of the tactics we decide to go with. While everyone in the company has some base of knowledge, we have never had a full-time SEO Manager, so you will have a lot of opportunity to be impactful and grow with the company. Salary commensurate with experience. Fully paid medical benefits and stock equity are also part of the package. Potential for some telecommuting a few days a week once you are up and running. Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. Send resume, salary requirements, and cover letter – and the more specificity you can share about your particular SEO skills the better – to jobs[at]ranker.com.
We are currently looking for someone to handle a wide variety of responsibilities in the editorial/content department. Duties may range from social media management / viral marketing to QA and testing, and there will also be some light office/administrative work. Ideal candidates should be able to function well in a fast-paced, high stress environment, and must be detail oriented, organized, intelligent, tech-savvy, hardworking and very capable of multitasking. Excellent writing skills are a requirement. Only candidates with 4 year degrees or equivalents need apply. Above all else, you must be passionate about the web industry, and about the opportunity to learn a lot on the job. Required Attributes:
- Deeply interested in the latest Internet and social media trends, and knowledgeable about the web industry in general
- Available to work in our Los Angeles office. (This is not a work-from-home position)
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- General office experience
- Heavy pop culture knowledge
- Experience with guerilla and viral marketing campaigns
- Internet research experience
- Note-taking skills
- A background in QA/testing
- Community management experience
- Comfort with basic bookkeeping software (such as Quickbooks)
- SEO experience
- Low-level HTML or other coding skills
This is a true startup experience – we are a small but fast-growing company working at a quick pace. We are seeking individuals who will thrive in that environment, and who want to go the extra mile to make our project a great success. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! To apply, respond with a cover letter and resume that includes information about your online and social media presence (Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, Tumblr… you pick!)
DEVELOPMENT QA INTERN
Ranker is looking for someone with solid technical skills to add to our Quality Assurance team. This candidate must have basic experience with website testing and a desire to find site defects. In addition, will have experience in functional and regression testing and be self-motivated to help ensure a high-level of quality in the software. This is a paid, part-time position ($10-12/hr DOE, though if you have some coding skills beyond the QA scope below that can be useful, we can potentially support higher pay and/or additional hours). Our offices are in Mid-Wilshire. Responsibilities:
- Verifying daily builds with supplied automated acceptance tests.
- Write, maintain, and execute functional test-cases based on supplied test plan.
- Responsible for general functional testing and regression testing of the products.
- Responsible for completion of tests across supported browsers/operating systems and submission of results. • Record and track bugs to final resolution.
- Work closely with the QA, Development, and Support teams to verify issues and resolutions.
- Issue MySQL queries for reporting
- Debug and/or fix smaller issues found in the web application
- Degree in a computer related field or equivalent experience, or pursuing degree in computer related field
- Previous software testing experience a plus
- Basic understanding of white box and black box testing approaches.
- Ability to create, execute and maintain comprehensive test-cases.
- Familiar with bug tracking systems such as Bugzilla or Mantis
- Must have strong problem solving skills to determine product issues.
- Programming language (Java) education or experience.
- Experience querying MySQL
- Must be able to work in a team environment and handle multiple tasks and follow schedules to completion.
- Must have excellent verbal/written skills and the ability to communicate with key individuals.
- Detail oriented and well organized.
MARKETING / PR INTERN
This person will assist the CEO and head of content/community in promoting Ranker’s content and brand through one-to-one content marketing, social media, and/or PR to secure exposure of and visits to Ranker content across various verticals. The position can be tailored more or less towards PR and other tactics like guest blogging, promotions/contests etc depending on the candidate. Since Ranker has many, many options for marketing, this role is best suited to a self-starter who can pick and execute on the best option from somewhat openended direction from senior staff. The person would gain valuable real-world experience doing marketing for a Top 750 US content site, and if they do their job well have numerous real-world proof points from doing so. Requirements:
- Strong knowledge of and interest in what makes web content interesting and what makes content go viral
- Strong knowledge of and interest in culture/pop culture in general
- Strong knowledge of and existing presence in social media
- Must be creative
- Must be a self-starter
We have a few different roles that interns could fill, depending on their interests and experience. There are openings for social media/viral marketing interns, who will learn how to virally promote a product, manage a social media marketing campaign and do some search engine optimization. There also openings for more general interest interns, who could be doing anything from content creation to office management tasks. Both positions are unpaid, but you will be working directly with the CEO and the development team, gaining valuable resume experience and learning a lot. We also happily provide college credit. And, since we’re a startup, there are always opportunities for people who prove themselves to move up to paid and/or permanent positions. Long story short, this is a great opportunity for someone looking for a future in web development, PR or online media. Requirements:
- Must be web savvy. Must know your way around mashable, digg, techcrunch, etc.
- Must be a detail-oriented self-starter.
- Must be able to write effectively in English. Creative writing experience is a plus, since we’re always looking for people to contribute witty, creative content to Ranker.
- Must be willing to work from our office in Hollywood.
- Must be able to sit in front of a computer all day. It’s a big plus if you enjoy doing so.
- Must be able to effectively use the web — your day to day work will require you to use resources ranging from Freebase to Facebook.
- Must commit to a regular schedule of at least 10 hours/week, although 15-20 hours/week is even better. Exact days/times are flexible.
- Must be genuinely excited about the opportunity and interested in a future in the web industry.
- Must understand that sometimes, when you’re entry-level, you have to get lunch for the office.
- Must also understand that getting lunch is worth it if it pays off for your future.
- Must be able to handle a start-up environment: meaning you should be patient, flexible and able to multi-task.
When applying, please also answer the following questions: What blogs/websites do you visit regularly? Why are you applying for this position? What do you think you bring to the table for the position? What are your initial impressions of Ranker? ineer”>ineer”>