To apply, please send resumes, cover letters and links to where we can find you online to jobs at ranker dot com. Currently considering candidates for:
- Manager of Content Studio
- Senior Lead Engineer
- Search Engine Optimization Manager
- Java/Web Developer
- Content Coordinator
- Development / QA Intern
- Marketing / PR Intern
- Other Interns
A key member of our team is the Manager of our Content Studio. You will be running the day-to-day operations of our scaleable content generation and overseeing a handful of inhouse writers/editors as well as a team of freelancers. This position involves oversight / development of processes for scalable content generation. We have built proprietary tools and systems to facilitate this, and we will be looking for you to run them and improve them. The candidate must have experience in creating content scalably and creating text and image content scalably. Most of Ranker’s content is in a text or image format and not in video, although we will be ramping an effort along these lines as well. Responsibilities include: Manage team of inhouse writers and freelancers. Pick the appropriate content to build Improve existing content as needed generate content using proprietary tools and freelancers Continually grow the volume and improve the performance of Ranker lists. Represent editorial perspective in product development. Maintain style guide and quality control. Track and report on site metrics. Manage content-related SEO. Requirements: Editorial experience in web publishing environment Experience overseeing a team of writers, either inhouse or freelancerss Love of lists Broad knowledge across many subject areas as Ranker has content in many verticals Understanding of what makes quality web content in 2014 Understanding of SEO and obtaining traffic from search engines Understanding of the types of content that are likely to go viral on the web 100% current in pop culture and web culture. Understanding of differences of consumption of evergreen content vs timely content If you’re interested, please email all of the following to jobs (at) ranker.com with “Content Studio Manager” in the subject line. Resume + cover email Link to LinkedIn profile Salary history and requirements Links to pages containing work samples. Salary commensurate with experience. Fully paid medical benefits and stock equity are also part of the package. Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Job Description Mentor and manage junior offshore developers. Build and maintain Spring Batch Jobs to build/augment SOLR Indexes. Independently Design and Architect large solutions and present them to the CTO. Diagnose production environment issues using Logic Monitor Server Monitoring. Manage production cloud server developments. Provide MongoDB administration. Be first point of contact on production site issues 24/7. Create technical requirements from discussions with the product team. Architect/implement adapters to ingest non Freebase datasets into our system using our Ranker Data Ingestion Framework (Amazon, SEOMOS, Factual, custom data).
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science/Applications
- 5 years experience as Programmer/Web Developer
- Proficent in Java, PHP, perl, SQL, Tomcat, SOLR, MongoDB, Freebase
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO) MANAGER
Job Description Looking to grow your SEO skillset tenfold and work on a big site run by an SEO guru? Time to move on from your agency work doing SEO for local dentists or whatever the latest client they throw at you? Read on. Ranker.com, a Quantcast Top 500 site (Top 100 for Mobile Web) is the platform for crowdsourced rankings across all topics. We are seeking an SEO with 1 – 4 years experience to learn and grow with us and execute on many different areas. We are located in the Miracle Mile area of LA. The company is venture-backed and the founder has sold a successful internet startup in the past. This is a great opportunity for a smart, driven individual to join a fast growing internet startup Requirements
- At least one year’s experience doing fulltime SEO work
- MS Excel proficiency
- Strong command of English language and how people use it in search
- Fast computer skills overall; proficiency with tools and software
- Strong work ethic
- Understanding of search analytics at a gut level
- General knowledge about a lot of different things as we are a broad content site
Responsibilities Just about anything related to SEO may fall on your plate as we test different approaches and repeat what works. We have a laundry list of search-related tasks and analysis that needs to be done. Some of the things you will be doing include linkbuilding, content reachout, partnerships for links/traffic, managing of freelancers, social media approaches, competitive research, keyword research, online marketing, site audits, reporting, using tools/apis for heavy analytics work and vetting of tactics both offsite and on (in addition to tools and GA we have proprietary systems for analysis). Note that this is not a content writing position; other people do that here, for the most part, though you will certainly be editing bits of content at times. While there is plenty of room to weigh in on SEO strategy, please note that we are looking for someone to execute – we know much of what needs to be done. This is a very hands-on SEO position, which is why we are open to candidates with as little as one year of experience- if you know the basics, we can train you on the rest. If you have some solid experience, all the better – we can pay you more – but you will still need to be very hands on, you aren’t going to be hiring an SEO firm to do the execution of the tactics we decide to go with. While everyone in the company has some base of knowledge, we have never had a full-time SEO Manager, so you will have a lot of opportunity to be impactful and grow with the company. Salary commensurate with experience. Fully paid medical benefits and stock equity are also part of the package. Potential for some telecommuting a few days a week once you are up and running. Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. Send resume, salary requirements, and cover letter – and the more specificity you can share about your particular SEO skills the better – to jobs[at]ranker.com.
JAVA / WEB DEVELOPER
We are looking for a Java Developer who is excited about solving real world scaling problems with cutting edge technologies. Help us keep climbing the charts on our way to becoming a top 100 website.
We need someone who is detailed and well organized with excellent communication …. oh come on … you know all the soft skills needed when working at a startup, just apply now and tell us how you will make a difference and knock our socks off!
We’re seeking a hands-on developer with a broad skillset and understanding of high-transaction web environments. The Ranker technology stack consists of custom CMS framework built on Spring MVC running inside Tomcat. Leveraging data sets of millions of entities, we aggregate linked data graphs into Ranker to expose them to our user base for our list building platform. Large scale data processing and Ranker go hand in hand as we continue to target structured data sets of value to augment our existing knowledge base. The Ranker engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining a highly trafficked site ( over 13 million monthly visitors and growing), a distributed app and most importantly large scale data aggregation. Utilizing an RDF triple store Ranker ingests 20+ millions entities to push the limits of how data aggregation can impact a consumer site as well as building out our distributed application framework into multiple verticals.
Candidates must be local although we will consider telecommuting one day a week for the right candidate. No agencies, 3rd parties or recruiters.
Salary commensurate with experience, fully paid medical benefits and stock equity are also part of the package.
- Expert knowldege of Java and Spring Frameworks (MVC,Batch)
- Expert knowledge of Mysql / Mongo DB
- Expert knowledge of Tomcat 6/7
- Experience with linux (command line/shell scripting)
- Experience in full app lifecycle from development to submission, release and ongoing maintence/support
- Strong background of profiling and debugging, plus analysis and optimization of performance and resource utlizition
- Experience supporting production 24/7 services
- Demonstrated ability to pick up new frameworks/apis with the ability to think outside the box
- Proven track record of delivering successful on-time projects
- Deep and broad knowledge, understanding of and interested in the Web and its latest trends and business models
- Experience working in a SCRUM project lifecycle
- Strong work ethic and dedication to deliver on time
- Demonstrate knowledge of current software engineering best practices
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Comfortable reading API documentation for 3rd party libraries
- BS in CS
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
We are currently looking for someone to handle a wide variety of responsibilities in the editorial/content department. Duties may range from social media management / viral marketing to QA and testing, and there will also be some light office/administrative work. Ideal candidates should be able to function well in a fast-paced, high stress environment, and must be detail oriented, organized, intelligent, tech-savvy, hardworking and very capable of multitasking. Excellent writing skills are a requirement. Only candidates with 4 year degrees or equivalents need apply. Above all else, you must be passionate about the web industry, and about the opportunity to learn a lot on the job. Required Attributes:
- Deeply interested in the latest Internet and social media trends, and knowledgeable about the web industry in general
- Available to work in our Los Angeles office. (This is not a work-from-home position)
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- General office experience
- Heavy pop culture knowledge
- Experience with guerilla and viral marketing campaigns
- Internet research experience
- Note-taking skills
- A background in QA/testing
- Community management experience
- Comfort with basic bookkeeping software (such as Quickbooks)
- SEO experience
- Low-level HTML or other coding skills
This is a true startup experience – we are a small but fast-growing company working at a quick pace. We are seeking individuals who will thrive in that environment, and who want to go the extra mile to make our project a great success. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! To apply, respond with a cover letter and resume that includes information about your online and social media presence (Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, Tumblr… you pick!)
DEVELOPMENT QA INTERN
Ranker is looking for someone with solid technical skills to add to our Quality Assurance team. This candidate must have basic experience with website testing and a desire to find site defects. In addition, will have experience in functional and regression testing and be self-motivated to help ensure a high-level of quality in the software. This is a paid, part-time position ($10-12/hr DOE, though if you have some coding skills beyond the QA scope below that can be useful, we can potentially support higher pay and/or additional hours). Our offices are in Mid-Wilshire. Responsibilities:
- Verifying daily builds with supplied automated acceptance tests.
- Write, maintain, and execute functional test-cases based on supplied test plan.
- Responsible for general functional testing and regression testing of the products.
- Responsible for completion of tests across supported browsers/operating systems and submission of results. • Record and track bugs to final resolution.
- Work closely with the QA, Development, and Support teams to verify issues and resolutions.
- Issue MySQL queries for reporting
- Debug and/or fix smaller issues found in the web application
- Degree in a computer related field or equivalent experience, or pursuing degree in computer related field
- Previous software testing experience a plus
- Basic understanding of white box and black box testing approaches.
- Ability to create, execute and maintain comprehensive test-cases.
- Familiar with bug tracking systems such as Bugzilla or Mantis
- Must have strong problem solving skills to determine product issues.
- Programming language (Java) education or experience.
- Experience querying MySQL
- Must be able to work in a team environment and handle multiple tasks and follow schedules to completion.
- Must have excellent verbal/written skills and the ability to communicate with key individuals.
- Detail oriented and well organized.
MARKETING / PR INTERN
This person will assist the CEO and head of content/community in promoting Ranker’s content and brand through one-to-one content marketing, social media, and/or PR to secure exposure of and visits to Ranker content across various verticals. The position can be tailored more or less towards PR and other tactics like guest blogging, promotions/contests etc depending on the candidate. Since Ranker has many, many options for marketing, this role is best suited to a self-starter who can pick and execute on the best option from somewhat openended direction from senior staff. The person would gain valuable real-world experience doing marketing for a Top 750 US content site, and if they do their job well have numerous real-world proof points from doing so. Requirements:
- Strong knowledge of and interest in what makes web content interesting and what makes content go viral
- Strong knowledge of and interest in culture/pop culture in general
- Strong knowledge of and existing presence in social media
- Must be creative
- Must be a self-starter
We have a few different roles that interns could fill, depending on their interests and experience. There are openings for social media/viral marketing interns, who will learn how to virally promote a product, manage a social media marketing campaign and do some search engine optimization. There also openings for more general interest interns, who could be doing anything from content creation to office management tasks. Both positions are unpaid, but you will be working directly with the CEO and the development team, gaining valuable resume experience and learning a lot. We also happily provide college credit. And, since we’re a startup, there are always opportunities for people who prove themselves to move up to paid and/or permanent positions. Long story short, this is a great opportunity for someone looking for a future in web development, PR or online media. Requirements:
- Must be web savvy. Must know your way around mashable, digg, techcrunch, etc.
- Must be a detail-oriented self-starter.
- Must be able to write effectively in English. Creative writing experience is a plus, since we’re always looking for people to contribute witty, creative content to Ranker.
- Must be willing to work from our office in Hollywood.
- Must be able to sit in front of a computer all day. It’s a big plus if you enjoy doing so.
- Must be able to effectively use the web — your day to day work will require you to use resources ranging from Freebase to Facebook.
- Must commit to a regular schedule of at least 10 hours/week, although 15-20 hours/week is even better. Exact days/times are flexible.
- Must be genuinely excited about the opportunity and interested in a future in the web industry.
- Must understand that sometimes, when you’re entry-level, you have to get lunch for the office.
- Must also understand that getting lunch is worth it if it pays off for your future.
- Must be able to handle a start-up environment: meaning you should be patient, flexible and able to multi-task.
When applying, please also answer the following questions: What blogs/websites do you visit regularly? Why are you applying for this position? What do you think you bring to the table for the position? What are your initial impressions of Ranker? ineer”>ineer”>