Its hard to resist a cold treat on a hot summer afternoon, and frozen yogurt shops with their array of flavors and toppings have a little of something for everyone. Once you’re done agonizing over whether you want new york cheesecake or wild berry froyo (and trying a sample of each at least twice), its time for the topping bar. But which topping should you choose? We asked people to vote for their favorite frozen yogurt toppings on Ranker from a list of 32 toppings, and they responded with over 7,500 votes.
But let’s be honest, who can just choose just ONE topping for their froyo? Using Gephi and data from Ranker’s Opinion Graph, we ran a cluster analysis on people’s favorite froyo topping votes to determine which toppings people like to eat together (click on graph to enlarge). In the graph, larger circles mean more likes with other toppings. Most of the versatile toppings were either a syrup (like strawberry sauce) or chocolate candy (like Reese’s Pieces).
The 10 Most Versatile Froyo Toppings:
Using the modularity clustering tool in Gephi, we were then able to sort toppings into groups based on which toppings people were most likely to upvote together. We identified 4 kinds of froyo topping lovers:
1. Fruit and Nuts (Blue): This cluster is all about the fruits and nuts. These people love Strawberry sauce, sliced almonds, and Marschino cherries.
4. Salty and Cake (Red): This cluster encompasses cake bites and toppings that have a salty taste to them. These people like Snickers, Cheesecake bits, and Caramel Syrup.
Some additional thoughts:
- Banana was a strange topping that was only linked with Snickers.
- People who like nuts like both fruit and items from the salty category.
- People who like blueberries only like other fruits.
- People who like sugar items like gummy worms also like chocolate, but don’t particularly like fruit.
– Kate Johnson